Many students are working hard to plan a trip to China with the student organization SAGHI (Students against global health ignorance). As the end of year one quickly approaches, many students in the class of 2011 have become concerned with a recent shortage in pearls. One student in particular shares her personal concern.
Gabby Punter, a first year medical student at FSU College of Medicine, received her great-grandmother’s pearl necklace for graduation in May 2007. “I was so honored to have such a wonderful keepsake that has been in my family for over sixty years,” she began. “Unfortunately, I didn’t realize how valuable to me they would become in the near future.” Punter was heartbroken when she found out that in her clinical skills class she was required to give each patient at least three pearls.
“I wish I had known this before entering medical school,” stated Adam Hacker. “I would’ve postponed that proposal to my girlfriend so I could pay for more pearls. Too bad that’s not included in the loan money they give us.”
As the 2007-2008 school year draws to a close, many students are strapped for cash and not sure how much longer this will be able to go on. Several student groups tried fundraising which proved unsuccessful. “I don’t understand why no one wants to participate in the “Pursuit for Pearls” 5K run. Doesn’t the community realize that they would benefit more than we would?” questioned Hacker.
As a result, SAGHI decided to plan a trip to China where the cost of pearls is much lower than here in America. “I realize that it may seem counter-intuitive to plan a $2000 trip to save $1500 on pearls, but the experience will be priceless,” commented the faculty advisor. Only four students are permitted to go on the trip due to rising flight costs and the high risk nature of the trip. Students hope to return with enough pearls to last them the rest of medical school. “The hardest part will be figuring out how many pearls I’ll actually need to give away in the next three years,” declares Hacker.
There is no easy answer to this problem. The students show no desire to discontinue the giving away of pearls; they only desire a manageable way to afford offering this kind of quality patient care. “I’m just glad my great-grandmother’s necklace had several little pearls rather than a few really big ones. They have been the only reason I have made it this far. Clearly I am one of the lucky ones,” reflected Punter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
GREAT! Dr. Brown-Jones, hahahaha
Post a Comment