Medical student, Beth Martinez is one of the exceptional women who is enduring the challenges of medical school and pregnancy at the same time. Recent discussions of pregnancy have been brought up in the reproductive unit for classes and have gotten many people thinking about the many decisions involved. Beth is especially concerned with the methods which she can choose to give birth, with what type of professional, and the location. Fortunately, she was available for an interview earlier this week.
When asked what her plans were for giving birth, Beth had a lot to say. “When I first found out I was pregnant, I expected to just have it in a hospital like normal people. After all, I am in medical school!” she commented with a chuckle. “But when I began to do more research, I realized that there are so many other options out there. For example, I could have my baby at home. This would clearly be ideal because then I wouldn’t have to worry about carrying my giant Robbin’s Pathology book with me.“ Other options she mentioned were birthing centers and using a midwife instead of the traditional route of having a physician.
However, Beth has chosen an even more unique experience than most. “ You know, you hear about these weird things like water births and beach births, but I just can’t see myself doing anything so extreme. I hadn’t really come to a decision until a few weeks ago when it hit me. I’m Christian, right? And so I started to think about the perfect birth of all time, Jesus’ birth. He was born in a stable, right? I realized that if God sent Jesus to be born in a stable, then that must be the way things are supposed to be done. Therefore, I have decided to have my baby in a barn. We are also talking to the local petting zoo to see about having animals around, just to make it seem a little more authentic. But we know that the details don’t really matter, as long as it’s a good experience.”
Beth is due sometime in late May, so be on the look out for some bright stars in the sky as the time gets closer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
jennie has a camel that you can rent for cheap.
CAMELS ARE AWESOME!
Post a Comment